2nd Order Differential Equation Problem

In summary: I suggest that you consider getting a tutor or going to the campus tutoring center for help, if available.
jonnejon

Homework Statement

Let y be the solution of the initial value problem:
y'' + 2y' + 2y = 0 , y(0) = 0 , y'(0) = 5

The maximum value of y over 0 less than or equal to x less than infinity is ??.

The Attempt at a Solution

r = -2 +/- i

I solved it:

y = c1 e^-2x cos(x) + c2 e^-2x sin(x)
y' = -2c1 e^-2x cos(x) - c1 e^-2x sin(x) - 2 c2 e^-2x sin(x) + c2 e^-2x cos(x)

y = c1 = 0
y' = -2c1 + c2 = 5 => c2 = 5

y = 5 e^-2t sin(x)

But I am terrible at trig. What is the maximum value of y? I got (x = -3pi/2 so therefore max y is 5 e^(6pi/2) but that is incorrect. I have one more attempt and don't want to lose out on this question.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The roots of your characteristic equation are wrong. They should be r = -1 +/- i.

Yeah, I missed that but doesn't change my answer much.

r = -1 +/- i

I solved it:

y = c1 e^-x cos(x) + c2 e^-x sin(x)
y' = -c1 e^-x cos(x) - c1 e^-x sin(x) -c2 e^-x sin(x) + c2 e^-x cos(x)

y = c1 = 0
y' = -c1 + c2 = 5 => c2 = 5

y = 5 e^-x sin(x)

But I still can't find the max value of y. Help please?

I think max of y is 5 e^(3pi/2) where x = -3pi/2. I don't want to exhaust my last attempt. Any confirmations?

How do you normally find the maximum value of a function? You probably spent the good part of a quarter or semester doing that.

I really don't know, my professor moves way to fast and doesn't give enough examples. I also completely forgot about that. If you show me how to do it instead of giving hints, I am sure I will learn it better that way. I would really appreciate that. Thanks.

And I'm sure that you will learn it better if you dig for it than if I just tell you. Crack your calculus book open and see if it has anything about finding the largest value of a function.

I am sorry, but I really don't know. I have been looking for awhile and I can't seem to find it. Did I do the differential equation correct though?

Yes, the solution of the initial value problem is y(x) = 5e-xsin(x).

Any maximum or minimum will come at an endpoint of the interval in question or at a point at which the derivative is zero. I truly hope that rings a bell with you.

Yeah, I found out that you set the derivative to zero but as I said before I am terrible at trigonmetry. So:

y'=5e^-x (cos(x)- sin(x))
0=5e^-x (cos(x)- sin(x))
5e^-x cos(x) = 5e^-x sin(x)
cos(x) = sin(x)

Whats next?

try solving for x? (dividing throughout by cos(x))

So, 0 = sin(x)/cos(x) = tan(x)? so tan (0)=0 so the max value of y is 0?

cos(x)/cos(x) does not equal 0...

what is 1/1, 5/5, pi/pi ?

Oh yeah, did the algebra wrong...

So, sinx/cosx = 1 = tanx
x=45?

so I should input the answer as:
y = 5 e^(-45) sin(45)?

jonnejon said:

So, sinx/cosx = 1 = tanx
x=45?

y = 5 e^(-45) sin(45)?

i think you need to put it in radians, but your method is correct

Yes!

I got it. Thanks Mark and Chewy. Yeah, I forgot to set my calculator back to radians, thanks for the help guys.

jonnejon said:

So, sinx/cosx = 1 = tanx
x=45?

y = 5 e^(-45) sin(45)?
There are an infinite number of solutions to the equation tan x = 1 on the interval [0, infinity). You have found only one of them. All you know is that dy/dx = 0 at x = pi/4. You don't know whether you have a maximum, minimum, or neither at this point.

Some thoughts on several of your comments...
You've mentioned a couple of times that you're terrible at trigonometry, you seem to have some trouble with algebra, and you didn't remember that the derivative of a function could be used to find the maximum and minimum values of that function. Now you are apparently in a class in differential equations, where knowledge of these areas is assumed. To be weak in all these areas is definitely not a recipe for success in differential equations.

I don't know what classes you are planning to take in the future, but you probably are going to have a much harder time of it until you can get up to speed in the areas where you are weak. I can't imagine that you are having an easy time of it in your present class.

Related to 2nd Order Differential Equation Problem

What is a 2nd order differential equation?

A 2nd order differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates an unknown function to its derivatives up to the second order. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model systems that involve acceleration, such as motion and vibrations.

How do you solve a 2nd order differential equation?

There are various methods for solving 2nd order differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and the method of undetermined coefficients. The appropriate method to use will depend on the specific equation and initial conditions.

What is the difference between a homogeneous and non-homogeneous 2nd order differential equation?

A homogeneous 2nd order differential equation has a zero constant term, while a non-homogeneous equation has a non-zero constant term. This distinction affects the methods used to solve the equation, as well as the general form of the solution.

What are the applications of 2nd order differential equations?

2nd order differential equations have a wide range of applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. Some common examples include modeling the motion of a pendulum, analyzing the behavior of an electrical circuit, and predicting the vibrations of a guitar string.

How do you know if a solution to a 2nd order differential equation is unique?

The uniqueness of a solution to a 2nd order differential equation is determined by the initial conditions. If the initial conditions are specified, then there will be a unique solution. However, if the initial conditions are not given, there may be multiple solutions to the equation.