2nd order derivative (Nabla^2)

In summary, the Laplacian operator is the differential of the Helmholtz equation. It is defined as the sum of the differential of the two components of the Helmholtz equation, and is used to solve problems with the Helmholtz equation.
test1234
Hi there, I'm kind of rusty on some stuff, so hope someone can help enlighten me.

I have an expression
[itex]E(r,w-w0)=F(x,y) A(z,w-w0) \exp[i\beta_0 z][/itex]

I need to substitute this into the Helmholtz equation and solve using separation of variables. However, I'm getting problems simplifying it to a form with can be separated... I reckon the problem lies with my understanding of the 2nd derivative, especially with more variables coming into play.

From the Helmholtz equation,
[itex]\nabla^2 E+\epsilon (w) k_0^{\phantom{0}2} E=0[/itex]

Working out
[itex]\nabla^2 E =\nabla(\nabla E)[/itex]
[itex]=\nabla(A\exp[i\beta_0 z] \frac{\partial F}{\partial x}+A\exp[i\beta_0 z] \frac{\partial F}{\partial y}+ FA (i \beta_0 \exp[i\beta_0 z])+F \exp[i\beta_0 z] \frac{\partial A}{\partial z})
[/itex]
[itex]
=A \exp[i\beta_0 z] \frac{\partial^2 F}{\partial x^2}+i \beta_0 A \exp[i\beta_0 z] \frac{\partial F}{\partial x}+ \exp[i\beta_0 z] \frac{\partial A}{\partial z} \frac{\partial F}{\partial x} [/itex]
[itex]
+ A \exp[i\beta_0 z] \frac{\partial^2 F}{\partial y^2}+i \beta_0 A \exp[i\beta_0 z] \frac{\partial F}{\partial y}+\exp[i\beta_0 z] \frac{\partial A}{\partial z} \frac{\partial F}{\partial y}
[/itex]
[itex]
+\frac{\partial F}{\partial x} \exp[i\beta_0 z] \frac{\partial A}{\partial z}+ \frac{\partial F}{\partial y} \exp[i\beta_0 z] \frac{\partial A}{\partial z}+ F A (i \beta_0)^2 \exp[i\beta_0 z]
[/itex]
[itex]
+i \beta_0 F \exp[i\beta_0 z] \frac{\partial A}{\partial z}+F \frac{\partial A}{\partial z} (i \beta_0) \exp[i\beta_0 z]+F \exp[i\beta_0 z] \frac{\partial^2 A}{\partial z^2}
[/itex]
Which gives
[itex]
=\exp[i\beta_0 z][A \frac{\partial^2 F}{\partial x^2}+2i \beta_0 A \frac{\partial F}{\partial x}+ 2 \frac{\partial A}{\partial z} \frac{\partial F}{\partial x}+A \frac{\partial^2 F}{\partial y^2}+2i \beta_0 A \frac{\partial F}{\partial y}+ 2 \frac{\partial A}{\partial z} \frac{\partial F}{\partial y}]
[/itex]

It seems like the terms [itex]2 \frac{\partial A}{\partial z} \frac{\partial F}{\partial x}[/itex] and [itex]2 \frac{\partial A}{\partial z} \frac{\partial F}{\partial y}[/itex] need to vanish...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or have I done the derivative wrongly? Should it be the following instead?
[itex]
\nabla^2 E =\nabla_x ^{\phantom{0}2}E+\nabla_y ^{\phantom{0}2}E+\nabla_z ^{\phantom{0}2}E
[/itex]

where
[itex]
\nabla_x ^{\phantom{0}2}E = A \exp[i\beta_0 z] \frac{\partial^2 F}{\partial x^2}
[/itex]

[itex]
\nabla_y ^{\phantom{0}2}E = A \exp[i\beta_0 z] \frac{\partial^2 F}{\partial x^y}
[/itex]

[itex]
\nabla_z^{\phantom{0}2}E = \nabla_z [FA (i \beta_0) \exp[i\beta_0 z]+ F \exp[i\beta_0 z] \frac{\partial A}{\partial z}]
[/itex]
[itex]
=[F (i \beta_0) \exp[i\beta_0 z] \frac{\partial A}{\partial z}+FA (i \beta_0)^2 \exp[i\beta_0 z]+
F \exp[i\beta_0 z] \frac{\partial^2 A}{\partial z^2}]+ F \frac{\partial A}{\partial z} (i \beta_0) \exp[i\beta_0 z]
[/itex]

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The Laplacian operator ∇[itex]^{2}[/itex] is defined as ∇[itex]\cdot[/itex]∇, or in cartesian components

∇[itex]^{2}[/itex]f = ∂[itex]^{2}[/itex]f/∂x[itex]^{2}[/itex] + ∂[itex]^{2}[/itex]f/∂y[itex]^{2} [/itex] + ∂[itex]^{2}[/itex]f/∂z[itex]^{2}[/itex]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Del

Thanks SteamKing!

I suppose my second intepretation should be the correct one instead.

Related to 2nd order derivative (Nabla^2)

What is the 2nd order derivative (Nabla^2)?

The 2nd order derivative, also known as the Laplacian operator (Nabla^2), is a mathematical operator used to measure the rate of change of a function with respect to its spatial coordinates. It is a second-order partial derivative that is often used in physics and engineering to describe the behavior of physical systems.

How is the 2nd order derivative (Nabla^2) calculated?

The 2nd order derivative (Nabla^2) is calculated by taking the second partial derivative of a function with respect to each of its spatial coordinates. This can be represented mathematically as ∂^2f/∂x^2 + ∂^2f/∂y^2 + ∂^2f/∂z^2, where f is the function and x, y, and z are the spatial coordinates.

What is the physical meaning of the 2nd order derivative (Nabla^2)?

The 2nd order derivative (Nabla^2) is a measure of the curvature of a function at a given point. It can be interpreted as the rate of change of the gradient of a function, or the rate at which the slope of a function changes. In physical terms, it describes how a quantity changes over a given distance or space.

What are the applications of the 2nd order derivative (Nabla^2)?

The 2nd order derivative (Nabla^2) has numerous applications in various fields of science and engineering. It is commonly used in physics to describe the behavior of systems such as fluids, electromagnetism, and heat transfer. It is also used in image processing, signal analysis, and computer vision to identify patterns and features in data.

What is the difference between the 2nd order derivative (Nabla^2) and the 1st order derivative (Nabla)?

The 1st order derivative (Nabla) measures the rate of change of a function with respect to its spatial coordinates, while the 2nd order derivative (Nabla^2) measures the rate of change of the gradient of a function. In simpler terms, the 1st order derivative describes how a quantity changes, while the 2nd order derivative describes how the rate of change of that quantity changes. Additionally, the 2nd order derivative is a more precise measure of curvature compared to the 1st order derivative.