(2D problem) What angle will yield maximum horizontal range?

In summary: At time (h, u, g, theta), x will be: - at the ground (0, 0, 0), cos(θ) = 0- at the ground (0, 0, 200), sin(θ) = 0- at an angle of 180 degrees (0, 200, 60), cos(θ) = 180- at an angle of 90 degrees (60, 0, 0), sin(θ) = 90In summary, at time (h, u, g, theta), the package will hit the ground at an angle of 180 degrees.
physics1829

Homework Statement

A supply plane is flying at 60.0m/s at an altitude of 200.0m. What angle of flight will yield the maximum horizontal range for the dropped package?

Homework Equations

1/2(g)(t)2.

The Attempt at a Solution

So far the only equations that i have, but may be wrong, is x=((60m/s)cos([itex]\Theta[/itex]))t+1/2(g)(t)2. and y=((60m/s)sin([itex]\Theta[/itex]))t+1/2(g)(t)2+200m. I'm told it would involve a quadratic formula if i do it the more efficient way, but i cannot figure out how to complete it, or if i am going about it all wrong to find the angle that gives the farthest distance. I have also tried messing around with the formulas to try to combine them. I've also thought of using excel to test every angle from 0.0-90.0° but i haven't worked out how i would do that either.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Wily Fury! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Wily Fury said:
x=((60m/s)cos([itex]\Theta[/itex]))t+1/2(g)(t)2

nooo :redface:

in the x direction, a = … ? :wink:

the acceleration should be 0 for the x direction?

Yup! :biggrin:

i'm still not sure how to approach the next step or if i am on the right track.

Wily Fury said:

The next step is to get an expression for the range (as a function of θ).

Then find the maximum value of the range, either by differentiating wrt θ, or by completing the square. :wink:

(and now I'm off to bed :zzz:)

I'm not really sure what that means >.<

what what means? :confused:

Wily Fury said:
You have (correcting your sign for vertical acceleration) x = u cos(θ)t, y = h + u sin(θ)t - gt2/2. Try to answer the following in sequence:
- at what time (as a function of h, u, g, theta) will the package hit the ground?
- what will x be at that time?
- how do you maximise that wrt theta?

Related to (2D problem) What angle will yield maximum horizontal range?

1. What is the "2D problem" and why is it important?

The "2D problem" refers to a physics problem in which an object is launched at an angle from a certain height without any air resistance. It is important because it allows scientists to study the motion of objects in a simplified environment, which can then be applied to more complex real-world situations.

2. How is the angle of launch related to the horizontal range of an object?

The angle of launch affects the horizontal range of an object because it determines the initial velocity and direction of the object. The horizontal range is the distance that the object travels in the horizontal direction before it hits the ground.

3. Is there a specific angle that will always yield maximum horizontal range?

No, there is no specific angle that will always yield maximum horizontal range. The angle that yields maximum horizontal range depends on the initial velocity and the height from which the object is launched.

4. How can we calculate the angle that will yield maximum horizontal range?

The angle that yields maximum horizontal range can be calculated using the formula tan(theta) = 4h/g, where h is the initial height and g is the acceleration due to gravity. However, this calculation assumes no air resistance and is only an approximation.

5. How does air resistance affect the angle that yields maximum horizontal range?

Air resistance can significantly affect the angle that yields maximum horizontal range. In the presence of air resistance, the angle that yields maximum horizontal range will be lower than the angle calculated without air resistance. This is because air resistance slows down the horizontal velocity of the object, causing it to travel a shorter distance before hitting the ground.