2D Kinematics - Finding Initial Velocity

In summary, by knowing the "hang time" of a punt, the time it takes to reach the maximum height can be deduced. Using the acceleration and energy conservation, the initial speed of the ball can be calculated.
whoopie88

Homework Statement

The "hang time" of a punt is measured to be 3.50 s. If the ball was kicked at an angle of 69.0° above the horizontal and was caught at the same level from which it was kicked, what was its initial speed? (Neglect air resistance.)

Homework Equations

All Kinematics Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Acceleration (y) = -9.81 m/s^2
Acceleration (x) = 0 m/s^2
Time = 3.5 s
Vi,x = (Vi)cos69
Vi,y = (Vi)sin69

Now I don't think I have enough information to solve the problem, but I know the problem isn't written incorrectly. I don't know where to go with the information I have because I can't solve for anything.

Help please? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know the "hang time" therefore you can deduce the time it takes to reach the highest point. At that point there is something that happens with your Vy. If you use that with Vi,y = (Vi)sin69 and an appropriate kinematic equation you can solve the problem.

How can I deduce the time it takes to reach the maximum height? Is that just half of the hang time?

whoopie88 said:
How can I deduce the time it takes to reach the maximum height? Is that just half of the hang time?

The ball is caught at the same height from which it was kicked and the acceleration is constant. Energy is conserved. Do you see any reason for the way up to take more then the way down?

Oh, no I don't. Okay, thank you. I found the correct solution. Thank you!

Related to 2D Kinematics - Finding Initial Velocity

1. How do you find the initial velocity in 2D kinematics?

The initial velocity in 2D kinematics can be found by using the formula: v0 = (Δx/Δt)cosθ, where Δx is the change in horizontal distance, Δt is the change in time, and θ is the angle of the initial velocity.

2. Can initial velocity be negative in 2D kinematics?

Yes, the initial velocity can be negative in 2D kinematics. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive axis.

3. How does the slope of a position-time graph relate to the initial velocity?

The slope of a position-time graph represents the velocity of an object. The initial velocity can be found by calculating the slope of the graph at the point where time is equal to 0.

4. Is the initial velocity the same as average velocity in 2D kinematics?

No, the initial velocity and average velocity are not the same in 2D kinematics. The initial velocity is the velocity at the beginning of the motion, while the average velocity is the total displacement over total time.

5. What is the importance of finding the initial velocity in 2D kinematics?

Finding the initial velocity in 2D kinematics is important because it allows us to understand the motion of an object and make predictions about its future position and velocity. It is also a crucial component in calculating other kinematic quantities such as acceleration and displacement.