2D Cartesian Laplace equation with a single point diffusion

In summary, the problem is that the PDE has a point diffusing its values and the person does not know how to incorporate it. They suggest finding the eigenvalues and solving for the corresponding amplitudes.
maistral
Hi. I have this problem in trying to solve this PDE analytically.

The PDE is represented by this diagram:
2ltsjgw.png

Basically this is solving the Laplace equation with those insulated boundaries except it has that point diffusing its value across the plane. I know how to solve the Laplace equation part. The problem is that I do not know how to solve the Laplace equation WITH a single point in there located at point (xi, yi).

While I have no problem in trying to solve this using numerical analysis, I am totally clueless how to solve this analytically. Where should I start? What should I do?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems you are asking too much. The solution is uniquely determined by the boundary conditions. Once found a solution you can check if it is consistent with the value you have at ##(x_i,y_i)##.

What?? How could it be asking too much?

I said it clearly I guess. I don't know where to start at all. If that point CA1 located at point (xi, yi) had not existed then obviously the solution for the PDE is just CA0.

I have no idea how to incorporate that point diffusing its values everywhere on CA0 that's why I'm asking.

Apparently this is Laplace equation with a dirac delta function on a certain coordinate. So apparently this involves Green's functions.

Who is this Green? Help?

Let's sneak up on it. Suppose that, rather than being in a small finite domain of a square, the system were infinite in extent, and, rather than the concentration being CA1 at a point, it would be CA1 on a small circle of radius a. And suppose that, far from the circle, at infinity, the temperature would be CA0.

Chet

I suggest you write the eigenvalue equation$$\Delta\phi+\lambda\phi=f$$where f is the diffusion function. First solve the homogeneous equation$$\Delta\phi + \lambda\phi=0$$by separation of variables and use the boundary conditions to find ##\phi_m\left (k_xx\right )## and ##\phi_n\left (k_yy \right )## and ##\lambda_{mn}=k_x^2+k_y^2##.
Introduce a trial function$$ \phi\left (x,y\right )=\sum_n\sum_m A_{mn}\phi_m\left (k_xx \right )\phi_n\left (k_yy \right )$$
and substitute in the equation$$\Delta\phi+\lambda_{mn}\phi=f$$
Multiply both sides of the equation by ##\phi_m\phi_n## and integrate to solve for ##A_{mn}##.

Thanks for the replies. But I gave up trying to get an analytical solution due to time constraints and killed the problem using a numerical attack. Lol

Related to 2D Cartesian Laplace equation with a single point diffusion

1. What is the 2D Cartesian Laplace equation with a single point diffusion?

The 2D Cartesian Laplace equation with a single point diffusion is a mathematical equation that describes the distribution of a diffusing substance in a two-dimensional space, where the concentration at any point is determined by the diffusion rate and the concentration at a single fixed point.

2. What is diffusion in the context of this equation?

Diffusion is the process by which a substance spreads out from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. In the context of the 2D Cartesian Laplace equation with a single point diffusion, diffusion is the mechanism by which the concentration of the diffusing substance changes over time and space.

3. How is the diffusion rate represented in this equation?

The diffusion rate is represented by the diffusion coefficient, which is a constant that determines how quickly the diffusing substance will spread out from the single point of diffusion. It is typically denoted by the symbol D in the equation.

4. What is the significance of the single point of diffusion in this equation?

The single point of diffusion is a fixed point in the two-dimensional space where the concentration of the diffusing substance is known. This point serves as the initial condition for the equation and influences the overall distribution of the substance throughout the space.

5. What are some real-life applications of the 2D Cartesian Laplace equation with a single point diffusion?

This equation has numerous applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It can be used to model diffusion processes in semiconductors, heat transfer in materials, and the spread of pollutants in the environment, among others.