2 Simple mechanism geometry problems

In summary, there are two simple geometry problems involving mechanisms. The first problem requires finding the length of a lever arm given the angle and distance from the fulcrum. The second problem involves determining the angle of a rotating object based on the length of the attached rod and the distance it travels. Both problems can be solved using basic trigonometric principles.
caddyguy109
It's obviously been a while since I've worked some of these problems, and I thought I got it, but then something is tripping me up on each of these:

1) Rocket is fired vertically and tracked by radar--obtain an expression that relates the altitude and the horizontal distance between it and the radar dish. Plot the altitude vs. theta over the range 0<theta<75deg. when d=1mile.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/Other%20Stuff/1-7.jpg

I know I basically just need to get something of the height(theta) variety, but just can't seem to get the vectors worked out correctly to show what I know is happening. Have to do it in vector notation first, then make the plot.

2) Quick return mechanism shown consists of an arm of radius r that rotates about C in the slot of a bar pinned at O. Write a vector equation for the geometry of this mechanism, and fromt it get 2 scalar equations that relate the angles phi, theta, and the length x. Solve these for x and phi as functions of theta.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/Other%20Stuff/1-9.jpg

Again, I think I understand what happens here, but am having trouble getting started and figuring out the vector setup and then solve them out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
SO simple, yet I'm still SO confused...any pointers in the right direction?

I've done a couple of other mechanism problems with 2 arms going to a point, and start out by breaking it apart a bit, and defining er and el (if that makes sense), with i and j.

But the layout of these two is confusing me. I'll try and get some of what I keep attempting scanned and linked.

The first question is a very simple geometry/trigonometry problem. It's designed to help you gain confidence in applying math to real world problems! Draw a simple right triangle. The hypotenuse is (r), the horizontal side is (d), and the vertical side is (h).

According to the rules of geometry (sin, cos, tan), what is the relationship between the sides (h) and (d). There will be a theta involved, where theta is the angle squeezed between the sides (r) and (d).

Armed with this equation, can you now plot the graph over the given range with d=1?

I know how easy it should be, which just shows how bad my trig knowledge is.

For the first one, should it be: tan(theta)=h/d and then h=d*tan(theta)?

Last edited:
Yes, looks like it ^^.
For the second question. You'll probably have to use the more complicated-looking sin and cosine rules.

Related to 2 Simple mechanism geometry problems

1. What are simple mechanism geometry problems?

Simple mechanism geometry problems involve the application of geometric principles to analyze and design mechanical systems. These problems often involve the use of basic mathematical concepts such as angles, distances, and proportions to determine the movement and function of mechanical components.

2. What types of mechanisms are typically studied in these problems?

Simple mechanism geometry problems can involve a variety of mechanical systems, including gears, pulleys, levers, and linkages. These mechanisms are commonly found in everyday objects such as bicycles, door handles, and car engines.

3. How can solving these problems benefit engineers and designers?

Solving simple mechanism geometry problems can enhance the problem-solving skills of engineers and designers, as well as improve their understanding of mechanical systems. It can also aid in the development and improvement of new and existing technologies, leading to more efficient and effective designs.

4. What are some common challenges in solving these problems?

One common challenge in solving simple mechanism geometry problems is dealing with complex systems that involve multiple components and movements. It can also be difficult to accurately model real-world systems due to factors such as friction and tolerance. Additionally, understanding the underlying principles and equations can be challenging for some individuals.

5. How can one improve their skills in solving these problems?

To improve skills in solving simple mechanism geometry problems, one can practice regularly and seek out resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and problem-solving workshops. It can also be helpful to work on real-world projects and collaborate with other engineers and designers to gain hands-on experience.