2 questions from rolling motion

In summary, the individual is having trouble balancing a rolling ball on a plank due to the presence of friction. They have attempted to use the equations F=ma and T=Iw, but have not been successful. They are seeking assistance in understanding the type of friction present and how to properly use the given equations to solve the problem. This post is closed due to not following forum rules for schoolwork posts.
DarkBallade
Poster has been reminded that the use of the HH Template and showing work is not optional
Both the questions are at https://imgur.com/a/o7B20
The problem I am facing is that on a straight line friction is there and I can't balance it. Using F=ma and T=Iw doesn't work.

Physics news on Phys.org
DarkBallade said:
The problem I am facing is that on a straight line friction is there and I can't balance it. Using F=ma and T=Iw doesn't work.

Knowing the mass of the ball and the coefficient of friction you know the force of friction, so you know what to put for Force and Torque. And don't forget that the ball is not constrained, so it gets torque and linear acceleration.

Welcome to PF;
The trick is to realize what kind of friction is between the rolling ball and the plank.
Otherwise as above.

Cutter Ketch said:
Knowing the mass of the ball and the coefficient of friction you know the force of friction, so you know what to put for Force and Torque. And don't forget that the ball is not constrained, so it gets torque and linear acceleration.
But that's the problem I can't from those equations

DarkBallade said:
This thread is closed because it doesn't comply with the PF rules for schoolwork posts. Please check your PMs, and re-post your question using the Homework Help Template and showing your work.

Related to 2 questions from rolling motion

1. What is rolling motion?

Rolling motion is a type of motion where an object moves along a surface while rotating about its own axis at the same time. This motion is commonly seen in objects such as wheels, balls, and cylinders.

2. How is rolling motion different from sliding motion?

Rolling motion and sliding motion are two different types of motion. In rolling motion, an object is in contact with a surface and rotates about its own axis while moving. In sliding motion, an object moves along a surface without any rotation.

3. What factors affect the speed of rolling motion?

The speed of rolling motion is affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the object, the surface it is rolling on, and the force applied to it. Other factors such as friction and air resistance can also impact the speed of rolling motion.

4. Can an object have both rolling and sliding motion?

Yes, an object can have both rolling and sliding motion simultaneously. This is often seen in objects such as a ball rolling down a ramp, where it has both rolling motion along the ramp and sliding motion on the ground.

5. How is rolling motion related to rotational motion?

Rolling motion and rotational motion are closely related as both involve an object rotating about its own axis. However, rolling motion also includes translational motion along a surface, while rotational motion is purely rotational and does not involve any movement along a surface.