2 frequencies within an interference pattern

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential effects of two sources transmitting different frequencies and forming an interference pattern. The speaker suggests that the pattern would be incomprehensible and suggests using a monochromatic light for clearer results. They also provide instructions for a simulation in Microsoft Excel to test different frequencies. The conversation ends with the speaker clarifying their question and asking for advice on what type of chart to use for the simulation.
lektor
Hi, short question.

What would be the effect of 2 sources both transmitting 2 different frequencies if placed in a way that forms an interference pattern.

ie. 2 aerials places parallel X meters apart transmitting in the same direction at 2 different frequencies per aerial.

Sorry if i didn't articulate this idea to well :<

Physics news on Phys.org
I would imagine that it would have no pattern or rather the pattern would be incomprehensible, useless. The main reason that for a monochromatic light is so that all of the miniscule changes and alterations in the light will be reflected in light going out of both slits. You should read up in your physics text, the beginning of the interferences chapter should explain these "miniscule" differences in more detail.

You could do a poor quality simulation in Microsoft Excel that would at least give you the point.

Try this

Cell B1: (freq 1)
Cell C1: (freq 2)

A3: =1/(b1*10)
B3: =2pi()*b1
C3: =2pi()*c1

A5: 0
B5: =2*PI()/B1
C5: =2*PI()/C1
E5: =B5+C5

A6: =A5+$A$3
B6: =SIN((A6/$B$3)*2*PI())
C6: =SIN((A6/$C$3)*2*PI())
E6: =B6+C6

Copy Row 6 and paste into about the next 100 rows.

Chart A5 thru Column E of the last row you pasted.

You change the values in Cell B1 and C1 to change the frequencies of the two signals.
Column E is the sum of the two signals.

Mixing the signals obviously has an effect. Trying different frequencies, you visually see whether or not the pattern of the original signals are discernable or not. (since the number of cycles displayed is dependent on the first frequency, it's better if that's the lower frequency).

I'm not sure what the intent of your question is, at least in the context of whatever course you're taking, but in reality, whether or not the two signals 'interfere' with each other depends how close they are too each other and the receivers ability to discriminate the 'proper' frequency from the other.

GeneralChemTutor said:
I would imagine that it would have no pattern or rather the pattern would be incomprehensible, useless. The main reason that for a monochromatic light is so that all of the miniscule changes and alterations in the light will be reflected in light going out of both slits. You should read up in your physics text, the beginning of the interferences chapter should explain these "miniscule" differences in more detail.

Im not sure if i phased my question correctly, sorry for the inconvenience.

I talked to my Physics teacher about it today and it seems that we haven't covered it yet, but he cleared it up for me :).

Btw, what type of chart should i use to for that? I am interested to see how well this works :D

lektor said:
Im not sure if i phased my question correctly, sorry for the inconvenience.

I talked to my Physics teacher about it today and it seems that we haven't covered it yet, but he cleared it up for me :).

Btw, what type of chart should i use to for that? I am interested to see how well this works :D
You click on the chart icon and select a line chart, preferably without a bunch of boxes or x's for the data points. You'll see each original signal plus the sum of the signals.

Related to 2 frequencies within an interference pattern

What is an interference pattern?

An interference pattern is a pattern of light or sound waves that result from the superposition of two or more waves traveling through the same medium at the same time. This phenomenon occurs when the waves interact with each other, causing them to either reinforce or cancel each other out in certain areas, resulting in a distinct pattern.

What are frequencies?

Frequencies refer to the number of cycles or oscillations that occur in a wave within a specific unit of time. It is often measured in Hertz (Hz), which represents the number of cycles per second. In the context of an interference pattern, frequencies are important as they determine the spacing between the waves and thus affect the resulting pattern.

How are two frequencies within an interference pattern related?

In an interference pattern, the two frequencies are related by their difference in wavelength. This is known as the wavelength difference, and it determines the distance between the constructive and destructive interference points in the pattern. The larger the difference in wavelengths, the more distinct the interference pattern will be.

How can two frequencies create an interference pattern?

When two waves with different frequencies interact, they form a new wave that combines the characteristics of both waves. This is known as superposition. As this new wave travels through the medium, it will exhibit areas of constructive interference (where the waves reinforce each other) and destructive interference (where the waves cancel each other out), resulting in an interference pattern.

What are some real-world applications of interference patterns with two frequencies?

Interference patterns with two frequencies have various practical applications, including in medical imaging (such as in ultrasound or MRI), wireless communication systems, and musical instruments (such as in the production of beats). They are also used in interferometers, which are devices that measure small changes in distance or wavelength, making them useful in fields such as astronomy and material science.