2 derivations using the Conservation of Linear Momentum

In summary, the problem involves the conservation of momentum in horizontal and vertical directions for a collision between two objects. By using trig identities and manipulating the equations, two new equations can be derived to solve for the final velocities of the objects after the collision.
auk411

Homework Statement

I have 2 equations. I need to derive two different equations from them.

Derive (1): v102= v1f2 + vf22+ 2v1fv2fcos(φ+θ)

(2): v2f = v10sin[tex]\theta[/tex]/sin(theta - phi)

Homework Equations

v10= v1fcosθ + v2fcosφ
0 = v2fsinφ - v2fsinθ

The Attempt at a Solution

I know for one you are going to have to square both sides of both equations. I figure I'm going to have to use some trig identities (actually for both), but I can't seem to find anywhere to go.

These are part of larger problems that I have worked through and set up but I can't seem to do the algebra/trig.

Physics news on Phys.org
auk411 said:

Homework Equations

v10= v1fcosθ + v2fcosφ
0 = v2fsinφ - v2fsinθ

It look like you're considering the case of an object that is traveling entirely in the horizontal direction when it suddenly "explodes" into two pieces, one of which moves off at an angle of theta above the horizontal, and the other of which travels off at an angle of phi below the horizontal. Am I right? The relevant equations you have posted then come from conservation of momentum in the horizontal and vertical directions respectively. Correct? (EDIT: Hmm...but what about the masses? :confused:)

EDIT 2: No, I figured it out. It wasn't an explosion. It was a collision. Mass 1 one traveling horizontally when it collided with *stationary* object 2 of EQUAL mass, which is why the masses cancel from both sides. They then traveled off obliquely, right?

Also, should the '2' in red actually be a '1'?

Last edited:
auk411 said:
I know for one you are going to have to square both sides of both equations. I figure I'm going to have to use some trig identities (actually for both), but I can't seem to find anywhere to go.

Yeah. Have you done that (squared both sides?) What did you get? Can you see how might manipulate that to turn it into the result?

Here's another hint: work backwards from the result. It has cos(φ+θ) in it. There are some trigonometric identities known as the "sum and difference formulae" that tell you what the sine and cosine of a sum or difference of two angles is. Applying that to the result, what do you get?

cepheid said:
Yeah. Have you done that (squared both sides?) What did you get? Can you see how might manipulate that to turn it into the result?

Here's another hint: work backwards from the result. It has cos(φ+θ) in it. There are some trigonometric identities known as the "sum and difference formulae" that tell you what the sine and cosine of a sum or difference of two angles is. Applying that to the result, what do you get?

Thanks, I got it.

I can provide a response to your question by using the conservation of linear momentum, which states that the total linear momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. In other words, the initial momentum of a system must equal the final momentum.

Derivation (1):
Starting with the given equations:
v10= v1fcosθ + v2fcosφ
0 = v2fsinφ - v2fsinθ

We can square both sides of the first equation to get:
v102= (v1fcosθ)^2 + 2v1fcosθv2fcosφ + (v2fcosφ)^2

Using the trigonometric identity cos(A+B) = cosAcosB - sinAsinB, we can rewrite the second term as:
2v1fcosθv2fcosφ = 2v1fv2fcos(φ+θ)

Substituting this into our equation, we get:
v102= (v1fcosθ)^2 + 2v1fv2fcos(φ+θ) + (v2fcosφ)^2

Now, we can use the second equation, 0 = v2fsinφ - v2fsinθ, to substitute for v2fcosφ and v2fsinφ:
v102= (v1fcosθ)^2 + 2v1fv2fcos(φ+θ) + (v2fsinθ)^2 - (v2fsinθ)^2

Using the trigonometric identity sin^2A + cos^2A = 1, we can simplify the equation to get:
v102= (v1fcosθ)^2 + (v2fsinθ)^2 + 2v1fv2fcos(φ+θ) - (v2fsinθ)^2

Finally, we can rearrange the terms to get the desired equation:
v102= v1f2 + vf22 + 2v1fv2fcos(φ+θ)

Derivation (2):
Starting with the given equation:
v2f = v10sin\theta/sin(theta - phi)

We can rewrite the equation as:
v2f = v10sin\theta/sin\thetacos\phi - cos\theta sin\phi

Using the trigonometric identity

Related to 2 derivations using the Conservation of Linear Momentum

1. What is the Conservation of Linear Momentum?

The Conservation of Linear Momentum is a fundamental law in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, regardless of any internal or external forces acting on the system.

2. How is the Conservation of Linear Momentum related to Newton's Third Law?

Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. The Conservation of Linear Momentum can be seen as an extension of this law, as it states that the total momentum of a system is the same before and after a collision, illustrating the equal and opposite reactions in action.

3. What is a derivation in physics?

In physics, a derivation refers to the process of using mathematical equations and principles to derive or prove a concept or law. In the case of Conservation of Linear Momentum, derivations involve using equations such as Newton's Second Law and the Law of Conservation of Energy to prove the law.

4. Can you give an example of a real-world application of the Conservation of Linear Momentum?

One example of the Conservation of Linear Momentum in action is a rocket launch. As the rocket burns fuel and pushes hot gas out of the back of the rocket, the rocket experiences an equal and opposite force, propelling it forward. This demonstrates the conservation of momentum, as the total momentum of the system (rocket + expelled gas) remains the same.

5. How does the Conservation of Linear Momentum relate to collisions?

The Conservation of Linear Momentum is crucial in understanding collisions between objects. In an elastic collision, where no energy is lost, the total momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. In an inelastic collision, where some energy is lost, the total momentum may not be conserved, but the law still applies to the individual objects involved in the collision.