2 bit by 1 bit multiplier circuit

• Engineering
  • Thread starter kusiobache
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bit Circuit
In summary, the conversation discussed creating a truth table for a 2 bit number multiplied by a 1 bit number and drawing a corresponding circuit using logic gates. The correct truth table was presented and a circuit using AND gates was determined to accurately represent the truth table. The conversation also included a discussion on organizing the columns of the truth table.
kusiobache

Homework Statement

What is the truth table for a 2 bit number multiplied by a 1 bit number? Also, draw the circuit (AKA, the logic gates that give you the truth table).

Homework Equations

Not really any relavent equations...

The Attempt at a Solution

so I made the truth table, it is

Code:
A(1) A(0) B(0) C(1) C(0)
0       0     0       0    0
0       0     1       0    0
0       1     0       0    0
0       1     1       0    1
1       0     0       0    0
1       0     1       1    0
1       1     0       0    0
1       1     1       1    1

And I believe it is correct.

However, I do not know how to go about figuring out the circuit. I think I am supposed to break the big truth table into smaller truth tables consisting of say A(1) B(0) C(1), A(0) B(0) C(1), A(1) B(0) C(0), A(0) b(0) C(0), but do I need all four of those? I'm guessing yes, but then, lastly, how do I know how to configure the logic gates in the circuit (I would get the logic gates by determining which logics gates would be needed for each of those smaller truth tables).

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: Also, the small truth table for A(1) B(0) C(0) contradicts itself for 0,1. Is that a hold there, or am I making a mistake? if It's a hold how would I represent it? Would I have to use two logic gates to create that hold?

Edit 2: Alright, I think I solved it, but can somebody confirm my work?
I ended up only needing two of those small truth tables (one for each output), and this is the circuit I ended up with. (those are both and gates). It matches the larger truth table, but it seems really simple...

Attachments

• IMAG0014.jpg
    IMAG0014.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 464
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
kusiobache said:

Homework Statement

What is the truth table for a 2 bit number multiplied by a 1 bit number? Also, draw the circuit (AKA, the logic gates that give you the truth table).

Homework Equations

Not really any relavent equations...

The Attempt at a Solution

so I made the truth table, it is

Code:
A(1) A(0) B(0) C(1) C(0)
0       0     0       0    0
0       0     1       0    0
0       1     0       0    0
0       1     1       0    1
1       0     0       0    0
1       0     1       1    0
1       1     0       0    0
1       1     1       1    1

And I believe it is correct.

However, I do not know how to go about figuring out the circuit. I think I am supposed to break the big truth table into smaller truth tables consisting of say A(1) B(0) C(1), A(0) B(0) C(1), A(1) B(0) C(0), A(0) b(0) C(0), but do I need all four of those? I'm guessing yes, but then, lastly, how do I know how to configure the logic gates in the circuit (I would get the logic gates by determining which logics gates would be needed for each of those smaller truth tables).

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: Also, the small truth table for A(1) B(0) C(0) contradicts itself for 0,1. Is that a hold there, or am I making a mistake? if It's a hold how would I represent it? Would I have to use two logic gates to create that hold?

Edit 2: Alright, I think I solved it, but can somebody confirm my work?
I ended up only needing two of those small truth tables (one for each output), and this is the circuit I ended up with. (those are both and gates). It matches the larger truth table, but it seems really simple...

Your truth table looks incorrect to me. It has A(0) and B(0) counting, instead of A(1) and A(0)...

berkeman said:
Your truth table looks incorrect to me. It has A(0) and B(0) counting, instead of A(1) and A(0)...

what difference does that make? It's just a label? What do you mean by "counting", though? Perhaps that's why I'm wrong. I just thought I needed to do the first bit and second bit for A (so 2^1 and 2^0 since base 2), the first bit for B (2^0), and then first and second bits for C (2^1 and 2^0)

kusiobache said:
what difference does that make? It's just a label? What do you mean by "counting", though? Perhaps that's why I'm wrong. I just thought I needed to do the first bit and second bit for A (so 2^1 and 2^0 since base 2), the first bit for B (2^0), and then first and second bits for C (2^1 and 2^0)

Ah, I see what you meant now. It was just confusing for me. I would have put the single bit as the first column, and then the two input bits as the 2nd and 3rd columns, and the output bits as the last two columns. But I guess that's just up to personal preference.

The reason that I would have put the single bit for the first column would have been to hilight the way that it is basically a gate for letting the 2-bit quantity through to the output. When it is a 1, the output is just the input, and when it is a 0, the outputs are zero.

The AND circuit that you have drawn accomplishes this function.

berkeman said:
Ah, I see what you meant now. It was just confusing for me. I would have put the single bit as the first column, and then the two input bits as the 2nd and 3rd columns, and the output bits as the last two columns. But I guess that's just up to personal preference.

The reason that I would have put the single bit for the first column would have been to hilight the way that it is basically a gate for letting the 2-bit quantity through to the output. When it is a 1, the output is just the input, and when it is a 0, the outputs are zero.

The AND circuit that you have drawn accomplishes this function.

I admit, your way does make more sense. I'm used to being unorganized though lol.

Thank you for the help man.

Related to 2 bit by 1 bit multiplier circuit

1. What is a 2 bit by 1 bit multiplier circuit?

A 2 bit by 1 bit multiplier circuit is a digital circuit used in computer hardware to perform multiplication operations on binary numbers. It takes two binary inputs of 2 bits each and produces a single binary output of 4 bits.

2. How does a 2 bit by 1 bit multiplier circuit work?

A 2 bit by 1 bit multiplier circuit works by using logic gates, such as AND, OR, and XOR gates, to manipulate the two input bits and produce the correct output. The circuit uses the principles of binary multiplication to determine the correct combination of outputs based on the input values.

3. What are the advantages of using a 2 bit by 1 bit multiplier circuit?

The main advantage of using a 2 bit by 1 bit multiplier circuit is its efficiency in performing multiplication operations on binary numbers. It uses a smaller number of logic gates compared to other types of multipliers, making it faster and more cost-effective.

4. Are there any limitations to a 2 bit by 1 bit multiplier circuit?

One limitation of a 2 bit by 1 bit multiplier circuit is that it can only multiply two 2-bit inputs. This means that it cannot handle larger binary numbers and may not be suitable for more complex multiplication operations.

5. How is a 2 bit by 1 bit multiplier circuit used in real-world applications?

A 2 bit by 1 bit multiplier circuit is commonly used in microprocessors and other digital systems that require multiplication operations on binary numbers. It is also used in applications such as signal processing and data compression, where efficiency and speed are crucial.