2(-1)^n = -2? Problem with (-1) to the power of natural numbers

In summary, the solution to the equation is ( (n*pi)^2-4)*(8/(n*pi)^3) or ( -(n*pi)^2) depending on whether n is even or odd.
Joe123
EDIT: Found the answer, seems I overlooked part of the solution in the learning materials ( answer extended into another page) the Solution does indeed equal what i thought it did.

Homework Statement

So this is the problem i have:

(2(-1)^n -((n*pi)^2(-1)^n)-2)*(8/(n*pi)^3)

where n = any natural number

this equation equals:

( (n*pi)^2-4)*(8/(n*pi)^3)

i cannot figure out how this works, if n = 1 the equation works, but if n = 2, then shouldn't the answer be:

( -(n*pi)^2)*(8/(n*pi)^3)

?

for simplification, removing the (8/(n*pi)^3)

(2(-1)^n -((n*pi)^2(-1)^n)-2)

where n = any natural number

=

( (n*pi)^2-4)

or

( -(n*pi)^2)

?

Any help would be appreciated.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

See above.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If n is even then (-1)^n= 1. If n is odd, (-1)^n= -1. So
1) if n is even, 2(-1)^n -((n*pi)^2(-1)^n)-2)= 2- (n^2 pi^2- 2)= 4- n^2 pi^2

2) if n is odd, 2(-1)^n -((n*pi)^2(-1)^n)-2)= -2-(-n^2 pi^2- 2)= n^2 pi^2

Related to 2(-1)^n = -2? Problem with (-1) to the power of natural numbers

1. What does it mean when there is a negative number raised to the power of a natural number in an equation?

When a negative number is raised to the power of a natural number, it means that the number is being multiplied by itself a certain number of times. For example, (-1)^3 means -1 x -1 x -1, which equals -1.

2. Why is the equation written as 2(-1)^n = -2 instead of just (-1)^n = -2?

The 2 in the equation represents a coefficient, which is a number that multiplies another number in an equation. In this case, the 2 is being multiplied by (-1)^n. This is important because it affects the overall value of the expression.

3. How do I solve this equation for n?

To solve this equation, you will need to use algebraic manipulation. First, you can divide both sides by 2 to get (-1)^n = -1. Then, you can take the logarithm of both sides to isolate n. The final answer would be n = ln(-1)/ln(-1), or any other multiple of pi.

4. Can this equation have more than one solution?

Yes, this equation can have more than one solution. Since (-1)^n can take on multiple values depending on the value of n, there can be multiple values of n that satisfy the equation. For example, n = 1 and n = 3 are both valid solutions.

5. Is there a pattern or formula for finding all the solutions to this equation?

Yes, there is a formula for finding all the solutions to this equation. The general formula is n = (2k+1)pi, where k is an integer. This formula takes into account all possible values of (-1)^n and will give you all the solutions for n in the equation 2(-1)^n = -2.