1st year engineering physics problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the time required for a car to travel 1km along a road with specific acceleration and deceleration rates. The approach of using constant acceleration formulas is suggested, but the person is struggling with setting up the equations. They receive encouragement to keep trying and eventually solve the problem.
Vash
Im having troubles with this question for my assignment...

Determine the time required for a car to travel 1km along a road if the car starts from rest, reaches a max speed at some intermediate point, and then stops at the end of the road. The car can accelerate at 1.5 m/s^2 and decelerate at 2 m/s^2.

I thought about sing the constant acceleration formulas (s= s0 +v0t+1/2at^2 V=v0+at) and letting v=v1, s=s1, t1 to be the time at which acceleration switches. make 4 equations first 2 using s1 and v1. second 2 using 1000m and v2=0 while v0=v1 (using t2-t1 for this part). I did the subbing in and it all turned into a mess. Anyone know of a easier way to approach this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
That sounds like the right approach. Try again. Look for ways to simplify, try different routes. It is not uncommon to have to go back and try again. Don't give up.

If you show us your algebra, we may be able to find errors.

my equations are:

s1=1/2at1^2 v1=at1
1000m=s1+v1(t2-t1)+1/2a(t2-t1)^2 v2=0=v1+a(t2-t1)

Those are my equations...I think i know what to do, but setting it up is the problem. Before I move on, do they seem correct?

Hello there. You have 2 parts to your solution. It is stated in the question itself.
Phase 1 is acceleration phase from rest to a certain x
phase 2 you have deceleration from a new initial velocity and a remaining x

Yes that is true, I am just waiting on someone to check if my equations are correct.

manipulate your eq to find your first Time

ok i figured it out, thanks for your replies.

Great Job Vash

Related to 1st year engineering physics problem

1. What is Engineering Physics?

Engineering Physics is a branch of science that combines principles of physics with engineering concepts to solve real-world problems. It focuses on the application of fundamental physics principles to develop innovative solutions for technological advancements.

2. What are some common topics covered in 1st year Engineering Physics?

In the first year of Engineering Physics, students are typically introduced to topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, waves and optics, and modern physics. These topics serve as the foundation for more advanced courses in later years.

3. How can I prepare for 1st year Engineering Physics problems?

To prepare for 1st year Engineering Physics problems, it is important to have a solid understanding of basic physics concepts such as Newton's laws, energy and momentum, and basic mathematical skills. You can also review previous class notes and practice problems to strengthen your understanding.

4. What are some common challenges students face in 1st year Engineering Physics?

Some common challenges students face in 1st year Engineering Physics include understanding abstract concepts, applying mathematical principles to real-world problems, and managing the workload of multiple courses. It is important to seek help from professors or tutors if you are struggling with any concepts.

5. What are some potential career paths for those studying Engineering Physics?

Studying Engineering Physics can lead to a variety of career paths, including research and development, design and construction, consulting, and teaching. Graduates can work in fields such as aerospace, renewable energy, medical physics, and telecommunications, among others.