1d potential V (-x)=-V (x) eigenfunctions.

In summary, the eigen functions of the Schrödinger equation can be symmetric or anti-symmetric functions of x, depending on the potential.
sudipmaity

Homework Statement

Show that for a 1d potential V (-x)=-V (x), the eigen functions of the Schrödinger equation are either symmetric/ anti-symmetric functions of x.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know how to do it for odd potential.
Let me show you how I am doing it for even potential.
V (x)=V (-x)
- (h2 / 2μ) [d2ψ(x)/dx2] + V (x) ψ(x)=E ψ (x)... (1)
Making x to -x transformation we get
- (h2 / 2μ) [d2ψ(-x)/dx2] + V (x) ψ(-x)=E ψ (-x)..(2)
where i use V (-x)=V (x)
Comparing (1) and (2) we see that ψ (x) and ψ(-x) eigenfunctions belongs to the same
energy E.
For a non degenerate state, ψ (-x ) must be a multiple of ψ (x):
Ψ (-x) = λψ (x).
Clearly ψ (x)= λψ (-x)=λ2ψ (x).
λ2=1 or λ=+/- 1
So ψ(-x)=+/- ψ(x)
Now if i use odd potential in (2) eigenfunctions no longer belong to same energy E.
The hamiltonian becomes weird for negative potential.
Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Sudip,
I like your solution to the opposite problem (even potential), but I don't see how you have proven that there is no degeneracy.
My book (Merzbacher, quantum mechanics, about 50 years old :-) ) only says that if ##\psi(x)## is a solution, then ##{1\over 2} [\psi(x)+\psi(-x)]## and ##{1\over 2} [\psi(x)-\psi(-x)]## are also solutions.

If I imagine an odd-parity potential, e.g. a well from -a to 0 and a barrier from 0 to +a, I find it hard to believe the either/or statement can be proven. An even simpler V is a step from -V0 to + V0 at x = 0.

I think any reasonable odd-parity V has to go to 0 when away from x=0, so there eigenfunctions are close to plane waves.

Sorry I can't help you any better. Hope someone else can; if no: let us know if you find a sensible solution from teacher or by yourself.

I agree that the problem is flawed.

How did I prove non degeneracy??
Well , 1d bound states are non degenerate aren't they?
I would like to quote somethings from a book by Dr.S.N.Ghosal(student of Emilio Segre) here :
"The above classification of wavefunctions [λ=+/-1 so ψ(-x)=+/- ψ(x)] according to parity is possible only if Hamiltonian H^ remains invariant under parity operation i.e., if the interaction potential V (x) remain unchanged by parity operation, V (-x)=V(x)"
Doesn't this statement raises question on the feasibility of the problem?
I want to know in a simple yes or no is it possible to find symmetric as well antisymmetric functions for a potential well
V(x)=-V0 for -a <x <0
V (x)=0 elsewhere.
Can't seem to find the above problem anywhere.A purely odd potential.

No, it's not possible. Your V(x) isn't odd either.

Sorry.
Will you say :
V (x)= -V (a) for -a <x <0
V (x)=0 elsewhere
is odd??

No. An odd function satisfies V(-x) = -V(x) for all x. For your potential, V(a/2) = 0 while V(-a/2) = -V(a) ≠ 0 (I assume).

BvU gave you an example of a simple odd potential: V(x) = V0 for x>0 and -V0 for x<0. Try solving the Schrodinger equation with this potential. You'll find the solutions aren't odd or even.

BvU said:
I think any reasonable odd-parity V has to go to 0 when away from x=0, so there eigenfunctions are close to plane waves
I have to correct myself: after all the step function is a counter-example. V can't go to ##\infty##, but it doesn't have to go to 0 to be (mathematically - and thereby also physically) acceptable.

I bring in another interesting potential function: a periodic square well . When x=0 is chosen such that V is even, eigenfunctions are even, but a shift of 1/4 period makes the potential odd, but not the eigenfunctions.

Related to 1d potential V (-x)=-V (x) eigenfunctions.

1. What is a 1-dimensional potential V(-x)=-V(x) eigenfunction?

A 1-dimensional potential V(-x)=-V(x) eigenfunction is a mathematical function that describes the behavior of a quantum particle in a one-dimensional potential that is symmetric about the origin. This means that the potential energy at a point x is equal to the potential energy at the point -x, resulting in a symmetric shape for the potential function.

2. What is the significance of V(-x)=-V(x) symmetry in eigenfunctions?

The symmetry of V(-x)=-V(x) allows for simplification of the equations used to calculate eigenfunctions and eigenvalues. It also allows for the use of parity (odd or even) to classify eigenfunctions, making it easier to determine the behavior of a system.

3. How are eigenfunctions in a V(-x)=-V(x) potential related to the probability of finding a particle in a specific location?

The square of the eigenfunctions represents the probability density of finding a particle at a specific location in a V(-x)=-V(x) potential. This means that the higher the amplitude of the eigenfunction at a certain point, the higher the probability of finding a particle at that point.

4. Can the eigenfunctions of a V(-x)=-V(x) potential have both positive and negative energy values?

Yes, the eigenfunctions of a V(-x)=-V(x) potential can have both positive and negative energy values. This is because the potential energy is an even function, meaning that it is the same for positive and negative values of x. As a result, the energy levels are symmetric about the origin and can take on both positive and negative values.

5. How is the behavior of the eigenfunctions of a V(-x)=-V(x) potential affected by changes in the potential energy function?

The behavior of the eigenfunctions in a V(-x)=-V(x) potential is affected by changes in the potential energy function. If the potential energy function is changed, the shape and amplitude of the eigenfunctions will also change. This can result in different energy levels and probabilities for finding a particle at different locations in the potential. However, the symmetry of the potential function will always result in symmetric eigenfunctions.