Consistence problems and Introduction to relativity

In summary, the teacher explained that Newton's 3rd law doesn't work when we "sit" on a charged particle and move at the same velocity while another particle is moving at another v velocitiy perpendicular to ours. However, if we move along both particles (paralell velocity) the magnetic force is not seen. This is because the magnetic force is not completely independent of the electric force. Special relativity comes to the rescue and explains that by some kind of experiment with electro-magnetic fields, we could determine an "absolute" speed.
Feynmanfan
Hello there!

In my last Electromagnetism lecture, the teacher explained that Newton's 3rd law doesn't work when we "sit" on a charged particle and move at the same velocity while another particle is moving at another v velocitiy perpendicular to ours.

How ist it that Newton doesn't work? And how do you explain that if we move along both particles (paralell velocity) the magnetic force is not seen.

I suspect that Einsten has something to do with this. Although I haven't taken a special relativity course yet, I read that Einstein came up with his ideas due to these problems in electrodynamics.

I'd be very grateful if you could help me understand this.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's more a matter of "pre-Einstein". It was determined, experimentally, in the 19th century that the force on a charged particle due to a magnetic field depends on the velocity of the charged particle relative to the magnetic field. No relative motion- no force. Newton's third law (for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction) was a variation of "Galilean relativity": Since F= ma, force, and so any interaction between the experiment and the experimenter, depends upon acceleration- it is impossible to determine the speed of a room moving at a constant velocity by an experiment inside the room.
The fact that the force due to a magnetic field depends on velocity, not acceleration would appear to mean that by some kind of experiment with electro-magnetic fields, we could determine an "absolute" speed. Michaelson and Morley tried to do such an experiment and the rest is history.

Feynmanfan said:
In my last Electromagnetism lecture, the teacher explained that Newton's 3rd law doesn't work when we "sit" on a charged particle and move at the same velocity while another particle is moving at another v velocitiy perpendicular to ours.
Here entereth field theory.

Feynmanfan said:
And how do you explain that if we move along both particles (paralell velocity) the magnetic force is not seen.
The magnetic force is not completely independent of the electric force. This is a clear consequence of special relativity. This was probably my favorite paradox, and it took me a long time to finally discover the answer. This paradox is actually treated, in various forms, by various people. If you do a search for "paradox" and then maybe "Lorentz force," or "magnetism," you will probably find your answer. Let me give it a brief attempt, motivated by Wolfgang Rindler's resolution.1

Imagine a current carrying wire and a charge sitting next to the wire. There is no magnetic force in this case. Now, imagine that the charge moves along the axis of the wire. There is a magnetic force in this case. But this seems to violate the principle of relativity (Galilean) in that, you can transform to a frame in which the charge is at rest, and therefore should experience no force. Rindler's resolution: In this frame, there is a length contraction of the charge density in the wire in such a way that there is then more net opposite charge, which attracts the charge next to the wire. I have mixed feelings about this resolution (i.e. conservation of charge), but the point is that special relativity comes to the rescue (yee-ha).

1 W. Rindler. Relativity: Special, General, and Cosmological. (Oxford Univ. Press, Inc., NY, 2001).

Last edited:
Thanks!

You were both very kind. I'll have a look that Relativity book.

1. What is a consistence problem in science?

A consistence problem in science refers to an inconsistency or contradiction between different theories or observations. It is a fundamental issue in science as it can lead to a breakdown in our understanding of the natural world.

2. How does the theory of relativity address consistence problems?

The theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, is a set of two theories (special and general relativity) that explain the relationship between space, time, and gravity. It addresses consistence problems by providing a unified framework for understanding the laws of physics, which were previously thought to be separate and inconsistent.

3. What is the difference between special and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in inertial (non-accelerating) frames of reference, while general relativity extends these laws to include accelerated frames and the effects of gravity. In other words, special relativity describes the behavior of objects moving at constant speeds, while general relativity includes the effects of gravity on objects in motion.

4. How does the theory of relativity challenge our understanding of time and space?

The theory of relativity challenges our understanding of time and space by proposing that they are not absolute, but rather relative to the observer's frame of reference. It also suggests that space and time are intertwined and can be distorted by the presence of massive objects, such as planets and stars.

5. What are some real-world applications of the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity has been applied in various fields, including GPS technology, nuclear energy, and cosmology. It has also led to the development of new technologies, such as particle accelerators and gravitational wave detectors, which have further advanced our understanding of the universe.