Any Tips for Playing Dart Board Without Straining Your Elbow?

• Thread starter The_Professional
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Suggestions
In summary, the author suggests that if you are playing a game where you have to close out numbers and bullseye to win, shoot for the bullseyes first because you may miss the bullseye, but hit a number you need, whereas you almost never miss a number you are shooting at and hit bullseye. They also suggest getting good darts, aiming for the triples, and getting good at the game.
The_Professional
I just bought a dart board and my right elbow is sore from playing. Any suggestions on what games to play? tricks on hitting the bulls-eye or getting a double? the right way of throwing?

Physics news on Phys.org
other than pointed end forward?
Here's my suggestion and it's a good one. If you are playing a game where you have to close out numbers and bullseye to win, shoot for the bullseyes first because you may miss the bullseye, but hit a number you need, whereas you almost never miss a number you are shooting at and hit bullseye.
However, that being said, if after closing out a number you get points everytime you hit that number after that forget I said anything.
Hint# C: aim for the triples, don't aim for the big singles area. You'll be suprised how often you hit what you are aiming at. This sounds like an obvious hint, but its more subtle than it sounds.
Hint#4: Get good darts. I prefer heavier ones.

The_Professional said:
I just bought a dart board and my right elbow is sore from playing. Any suggestions on what games to play? tricks on hitting the bulls-eye or getting a double? the right way of throwing?

from playing what? OoOoOoOhhh..."darts" eh? :tongue: is that why your arm hurts...aim for the bull. I can't go on, I am thinking of too many innuendo's. I'll leave it to tribdog if he feels like picking up.

jimmy p said:
from playing what? OoOoOoOhhh..."darts" eh? :tongue: is that why your arm hurts...aim for the bull. I can't go on, I am thinking of too many innuendo's. I'll leave it to tribdog if he feels like picking up.
I'm not picking it up. I'm not going to touch it. Could you imagine the mess he's made if he's made his elbow sore?

Getting injured from darts (except in the case of a new static appendage) is kind of like getting injured from chess...

As for suggestions, put a picture on the dart board.

cookiemonster

cookiemonster said:
Getting injured from darts (except in the case of a new static appendage) is kind of like getting injured from chess...

cookiemonster

I don't agree with that. I don't know if everyone does this, but everytime I drop something I stick my foot out to catch whatever I dropped before it hits the floor. I can't count the number of times I've stuck a dart or an exacto knife into the top of my foot, and I can count all the way to 20 on my fingers and toes, well 19 (another exacto incident and it'll be 18).
As far as being injured from chess did I tell you about the time I first learned to play chess? I asked the guy teaching me, "Should I take that castle with my horse?" The guy teaching me said, "You idiot that's not a castle it is called a rook and that isn't a horse, the correct term is knight and if you screw up like that again I'm going to hit you on the head with this flat thing that has all those squares on it."

As I said, except in the rare case of new artificial appendages. =]

As for sticking your foot out to catch it... How do you catch with your foot?

cookiemonster

by catch I mean slow down before hitting the floor.

You know, my reflex has always been to move my feet out of the way as quickly as possible, precisely so that I don't give myself a 6th (or 4th...) toe. I always thought everyone did this.

cookiemonster

I probably just have nicer things than you and don't want to see them busted on the floor. Or you have prettier feet.
Does the cookiemonster even have feet?

Only I know. Only I know what goes on below the camera's view...

cookiemonster

I highly suggest getting yourself a set of Hammerhead darts.
They require a lot less force (due to the Hammerhead action) and you can focus more on finesse and aim.

tribdog said:
Here's my suggestion and it's a good one. If you are playing a game where you have to close out numbers and bullseye to win, shoot for the bullseyes first because you may miss the bullseye, but hit a number you need, whereas you almost never miss a number you are shooting at and hit bullseye.

Unless, of course, you are playing against someone good.
They will bury you with points if you follow that strategy!

cookiemonster said:
Getting injured from darts (except in the case of a new static appendage) is kind of like getting injured from chess

I've never been injured from chess, however...

I was reaching up to pull my darts off the board in the middle of a game of cricket with my brother.
One dart was a little deeper than the others, so it made me take longer than it should have and my brother had bad timing.

My pinky was against the board sideways (as in the nail not on the top or bottom, but the side) and my brother's dart went clear through the meat in the tip of my pinky dead center and into the board pinning me to the board.

That hurt.

We did count his trip 20, though, and he beat me that game.

i haven't injured anyone but i have burst a gas pipe playing darts...

It's quite tough to hit the bulls-eyes, but I still hit it. I often hit a double about 90 percent of the time. It's a game that requires concentration and some physics

why try hit the bull? surely you would rather try aim for the triple 20?

I play darts for my local pub, I've played about half a season in the leauge, but am yet to win a game! Its getting costly in buying the winner drinks.

My advise, if you want to take advise from a loser, is to just play for fun, practice helps.

Develop a technique that works for YOU. I know people that throw from their waist up and are very good, others that throw across their line of sight, or like me just stare and chuck.

The only hint I can give in writing is this. If you play a game where you have to "double in" aim at the doubles on the sides. You have much more horizontal control than verticle.

Well, maybe more.

Practice, find the way you want to throw, and throw that way. Don't change things just because you're having a bad night.

The hard-plastic flight holders work best. They either hold their shape or break. The soft plastic and aluminum ones get bent out of shape. The aluminum are good for "Robin-hooding" though. Nothing impresses the neophytes more than hitting a bull's-eye, then sticking the next dart in the tail of the first one.

Njorl

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind

1. How do I properly set up a dart board?

To properly set up a dart board, you will need to hang it on a wall or use a dart board stand. The standard height for hanging a dart board is 5 feet 8 inches from the floor to the center of the bullseye. Make sure the board is securely attached and level to avoid any safety hazards.

2. What type of darts should I use for a dart board?

There are several types of darts available for dart boards, including soft tip and steel tip darts. The type of darts you should use depends on the type of dart board you have. Soft tip darts are designed for electronic dart boards, while steel tip darts are used for traditional bristle dart boards. It’s important to use the correct type of darts to avoid damaging your dart board.

3. How do I improve my aim on a dart board?

Improving your aim on a dart board takes practice and patience. One tip is to focus on your stance and grip, making sure you are standing at the right distance from the board and holding the dart correctly. Another tip is to aim for specific areas on the board, such as the triple 20 or bullseye, to improve your accuracy.

4. Can I use a dart board in a small space?

Yes, you can use a dart board in a small space as long as you have enough room to safely throw the darts. The standard throwing distance for dart boards is 7 feet 9.25 inches, but there are also smaller dart boards available for tighter spaces. Just make sure you have enough room to stand and throw without any obstructions.

5. How do I keep score on a dart board?

There are a few different ways to keep score on a dart board, depending on the game you are playing. The most common method is to use a scoreboard or keep track of the score on a piece of paper. Some electronic dart boards also come with a built-in scoring system. It’s important to familiarize yourself with the scoring rules of the game you are playing before starting.