Cheaper drugs through genetically engineered foods: One now approved

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drugs
In summary, the California Rice Commission approved a company's request to grow genetically modified rice containing a drug. This development is seen as a step towards improving human health and even engineering insects to deliver vaccinations. There are concerns about the safety and potential consequences of these experiments, as evidenced by an experience where a field of glowing green corn was spotted near a residential area.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The California Rice Commission on Monday approved a biotech company's request to grow the state's first crop genetically modified to contain a drug.[continued]

http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,62860,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_2 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Fantastic. Making the human race stronger 1 day at a time :smile:.

Engineered food rocks.

People are working to make mosquitoes into little vaccinators as well. Engineer the bug to deliver a multitude of vaccinations with each puncture.

btw, I meant to put this in the politics forum but oh well.

Bayer has an experimental farm less than 2 miles from my house.

One night, a few years ago, I was driving home and I noticed as I topped a hill that a field of corn was glowing green. I told my daughter and she thought I was nuts.

I later read about experiments crossing genes of (I think it was jellyfish that glow green) with corn, among other things. I can't locate the article.

I'm just thrilled to find out I live so close to these bizarre crop experiments. :eek:

Now when someone tells me I look absolutely "radiant" there could be more truth to it than they know. :wink:

1. What are genetically engineered foods?

Genetically engineered foods, also known as genetically modified organisms (GMOs), are plants or animals that have had their DNA altered through genetic engineering techniques. This is done to introduce new traits or characteristics, such as increased resistance to pests or improved nutritional value.

2. How can genetically engineered foods lead to cheaper drugs?

Genetically engineered foods can be used to produce pharmaceutical drugs through a process called "pharming." This involves inserting the gene for a desired drug into a plant or animal, which then produces the drug in its cells. This can be a more cost-effective method compared to traditional drug production methods, resulting in cheaper drugs for consumers.

3. What is the benefit of using genetically engineered foods for drug production?

The use of genetically engineered foods for drug production can provide a more sustainable and efficient way to produce pharmaceuticals. It can also increase the availability and accessibility of certain drugs, as they can be produced on a larger scale and potentially at a lower cost.

4. Are there any potential risks or concerns with using genetically engineered foods for drug production?

There are some potential risks associated with using genetically engineered foods for drug production. For example, there is a concern that the genes used in the process could potentially transfer to other plants or animals, leading to unintended environmental consequences. Additionally, there may be concerns about the safety and efficacy of drugs produced through this method, as they have not been extensively tested.

5. How are genetically engineered foods regulated?

In the United States, the production and sale of genetically engineered foods are regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The FDA requires developers to conduct safety and efficacy testing before a genetically engineered food can be marketed. Additionally, the USDA and EPA also have regulations in place for genetically engineered foods.