Math Symbols: Struggling to Do Superscripts & Subscripts?

• Thread starter quantumdude
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involves a group discussing how to use various symbols and codes for mathematical expressions on a forum. One member is having trouble figuring out how to use superscripts and subscripts, while another is able to provide a solution for math symbols. They also discuss the possibility of adding sup and sub as codes, with one member successfully implementing it. The conversation ends with a member realizing their mistake and successfully using sub and sup as codes for subscripts and superscripts.
quantumdude
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I see that some of you can do them. Why can't I? :frown:

I see how to do the integral sign: [inte]

How do you do superscripts and subscripts? Summation signs? Anything else?

Physics news on Phys.org
*kick*

Superscripts?
Subscripts?
Greek letters?
Math symbols?

Anyone?

C'mon, guys, I help you with your homework!

So far i figured out the Math symbols.
In the reply page, you will see the smilies on the left.
Under the smilies you see "Showing 15 of 55"
Under that there is a link saying "[Get More]".
Click it and a new window will show.
This one contains the math symbols.

But i still have the problem with SUP and SUB !

[ee] [gamma] [oo] [lamb] [<=] [inte] [ii] [rr] [pi]

Kick ass!

Thanks, now all we need are sup's and sub's.

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
and are now codes you can use.

^^^^
hehe, I don't think so for 'sub'. It appears to be a reserved tag for subsets.

[ sub ] and [ sup ] are now forum codes you can use!

ex. 263

ex. 262

Last edited:
Oops, I'm a retard.

sub, when used by itself in brackets, is supposed to be "subset".

sub followed by /sub, again in brackets, is supposed to give you a subscript.

Let's see if it works.

edit: Yay, it does

edit: Yay, so does 'sup'.

1. What is the difference between superscripts and subscripts in math?

Superscripts are symbols or numbers that are written above the baseline of a mathematical expression, while subscripts are symbols or numbers that are written below the baseline. Superscripts often indicate exponentiation, while subscripts are commonly used for indices or coefficients.

2. How do I type superscripts and subscripts on a computer?

The method for typing superscripts and subscripts may vary depending on your computer's operating system and software. However, a common method is to use the caret symbol (^) for superscripts and the underscore symbol (_) for subscripts. For example, 2^3 would be written as 2^3 and H2O would be written as H2O.

3. Can I use superscripts and subscripts in Microsoft Word or Google Docs?

Yes, both Microsoft Word and Google Docs have options for typing superscripts and subscripts. In Microsoft Word, you can access these options by going to the "Home" tab, clicking on the "Font" section, and selecting "Superscript" or "Subscript" from the drop-down menu. In Google Docs, you can access these options by going to the "Format" tab, clicking on "Text", and selecting either "Superscript" or "Subscript".

4. Are there any shortcuts for typing superscripts and subscripts?

Yes, many software programs have keyboard shortcuts for typing superscripts and subscripts. For example, in Microsoft Word, you can use the shortcut "Ctrl + Shift + =" to type a subscript and "Ctrl + =" to type a superscript. In Google Docs, you can use the shortcut "Ctrl + ," to type a subscript and "Ctrl + ." to type a superscript.

5. How can I ensure that my superscripts and subscripts are properly formatted in a document or presentation?

To ensure proper formatting of superscripts and subscripts, it is important to use the correct symbols and to check for any errors or inconsistencies. Additionally, you can adjust the font size or baseline shift of the superscript or subscript to make it more visually appealing. It is also helpful to preview your document or presentation before finalizing it to ensure that all superscripts and subscripts are correctly displayed.