Can throw away batteries be charged?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a 9V battery charger to recharge 6V batteries. However, it is not possible to do so and a special device called a pulse recharger is needed to recharge regular batteries as if they were rechargeable. Even with this, the batteries will have lower storage capacity and will allow for fewer recharges compared to actual rechargeable batteries.
ShawnD
Science Advisor
I have 4 of those big 6V batteries used mostly in flashlights. The batteries are almost dead and I really don't want to break the bank buying new ones. Can I just hook them up to my 9V battery charger (in parallel) and charge them? Will they hold a charge again? Will they explode?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Nope. Sorry, but it won't work. If it did, why would people pay more for rechargable batteries? What you'd need is a device called a pulse recharger, which can recharge regular batteries as if they were rechargeables. Of course, even with this you'll get lower amounts of charge stored, and the batteries will allow for far less recharges than ones designed to be recharged.

No, throw away batteries cannot be charged. These types of batteries are typically alkaline or zinc-carbon batteries, which are not designed to be recharged. Attempting to charge them can be dangerous and may cause them to explode or leak hazardous chemicals.

It is also not recommended to mix different types or voltages of batteries in a charger, as this can cause damage to the batteries or the charger itself.

If you are looking to save money on new batteries, consider investing in rechargeable batteries and a compatible charger. This will not only save you money in the long run, but also help reduce waste and protect the environment.

1. Can throw away batteries be charged?

Yes, some types of throw away batteries can be charged. These batteries are called rechargeable batteries, and they are designed to be charged and reused multiple times.

2. How do I know if a battery is rechargeable?

Rechargeable batteries can typically be identified by their label, which will usually say "rechargeable" or "reusable". They may also have a higher mAh (milliampere-hour) rating compared to non-rechargeable batteries.

3. Can all types of throw away batteries be charged?

No, not all types of throw away batteries can be charged. Only specific types, such as lithium-ion, nickel-metal hydride, and nickel-cadmium batteries, are designed to be recharged. Other types, such as alkaline batteries, should not be charged as they can be dangerous.

4. How many times can a rechargeable battery be charged?

The number of times a rechargeable battery can be charged depends on the type of battery and how it is used. On average, a rechargeable battery can be charged 500-1000 times before it loses its ability to hold a charge. However, this number can vary depending on the brand and quality of the battery.

5. Can throwing away charged batteries be harmful to the environment?

Yes, throwing away charged batteries can be harmful to the environment. Rechargeable batteries contain toxic chemicals that can leak into the soil and water if not disposed of properly. It is important to recycle rechargeable batteries at designated facilities to prevent harm to the environment.