Facebook Page
Twitter
RSS
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. MHB Apprentice

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    66
    Thanks
    35 times
    Thanked
    14 times
    #1
    What do i have wrong here for my chemical equation? Seems to be right but my homework wont accept it.

    Balance the redox reaction occurring in acidic solution.

    Sn(s)+MnO−4(aq) → Sn2+(aq)+Mn2+(aq)

    Express your answer as a chemical equation including phases.



    5Sn+2MnO−4+16H+→5Sn2++2Mn2++8H2O


    is this correct?

  2. MHB Seeker
    MHB Global Moderator
    MHB Math Scholar
    I like Serena's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,972
    Thanks
    4,025 times
    Thanked
    11,315 times
    Thank/Post
    1.895
    Awards
    MHB Model Helper Award (2016)  

MHB Best Ideas (2016)  

MHB LaTeX Award (2016)  

MHB Calculus Award (2014)  

MHB Discrete Mathematics Award (Jul-Dec 2013)
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by needOfHelpCMath View Post
    What do i have wrong here for my chemical equation? Seems to be right but my homework wont accept it.

    Balance the redox reaction occurring in acidic solution.

    Sn(s)+MnO−4(aq) → Sn2+(aq)+Mn2+(aq)

    Express your answer as a chemical equation including phases.



    5Sn+2MnO−4+16H+→5Sn2++2Mn2++8H2O


    is this correct?
    Hi needOfHelpCMath!

    It seems correct to me, although the question does ask to include phases.
    So should it perhaps be:
    $$Sn(s)+MnO^−_4(aq) → Sn^{2+}(aq)+Mn^{2+}(aq)$$
    $$5Sn(s)+2MnO^−_4(aq) + 16H^+(aq)→ 5Sn^{2+}(aq)+2Mn^{2+}(aq) + 8H_2O
    $$

  3. MHB Apprentice

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    66
    Thanks
    35 times
    Thanked
    14 times
    #3 Thread Author
    Quote Originally Posted by I like Serena View Post
    Hi needOfHelpCMath!

    It seems correct to me, although the question does ask to include phases.
    So should it perhaps be:
    $$Sn(s)+MnO^−_4(aq) → Sn^{2+}(aq)+Mn^{2+}(aq)$$
    $$5Sn(s)+2MnO^−_4(aq) + 16H^+(aq)→ 5Sn^{2+}(aq)+2Mn^{2+}(aq) + 8H_2O
    $$
    So inputed your answer and it said "Check your placement of subscripts and super subscripts"

  4. MHB Seeker
    MHB Global Moderator
    MHB Math Scholar
    I like Serena's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,972
    Thanks
    4,025 times
    Thanked
    11,315 times
    Thank/Post
    1.895
    Awards
    MHB Model Helper Award (2016)  

MHB Best Ideas (2016)  

MHB LaTeX Award (2016)  

MHB Calculus Award (2014)  

MHB Discrete Mathematics Award (Jul-Dec 2013)
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by needOfHelpCMath View Post
    So inputed your answer and it said "Check your placement of subscripts and super subscripts"
    Perhaps MnO-4 should be the other way around. That is, it should be MnO4-, since it's really $(MnO_4)^-$.

Similar Threads

  1. Chemistry
    By Teh in forum Other Topics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 9th, 2016, 17:38
  2. [SOLVED] Chemistry - Enthalpy Questions (gr 12)
    By eleventhxhour in forum Other Topics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: September 20th, 2014, 18:23

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Math Help Boards