Facebook Page
Twitter
RSS
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Movies in 2017

  1. Администратор
    Jameson's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,705
    Thanks
    12,210 times
    Thanked
    9,958 times
    Thank/Post
    2.688
    Trophies
    1 Highscore
    Awards
    MHB Statistics Award (2017)  

MHB Statistics Award (2015)  

MHB Statistics Award (2014)
    #1
    I go to the movies quite a bit. I've always loved the experience and find it's fun to go into a new world for 1-3 hours. Usually I have at least one movie that gets me super excited each year, but this year was a big flop unfortunately. These are the ones I saw accord to my purchase history. I am curious if anyone saw any movies that they loved/hated this year as well.

    1) Star Wars: The Last Jedi (5/10 for me)
    2) Lady Bird
    3) Murder on the Orient Express
    4) Justice League
    5) Thor: Ragnarok
    6) Happy Death Day
    7) Blade Runner 2049
    8) IT (loved this one, but had no idea of it ahead of time)
    9) Atomic Blonde
    10) Spider-Man: Homecoming
    11) Guardians of the Galaxy 2
    12) Life
    13) Get Out (very good)
    14) Logan (pretty good)

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     

  3. MHB Craftsman
    MHB Math Helper

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    209
    Thanks
    442 times
    Thanked
    365 times
    Thank/Post
    1.746
    Blog Entries
    1
    Trophies
    5 Highscores
    Awards
    MHB Model User Award (2017)
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
    I go to the movies quite a bit. I've always loved the experience and find it's fun to go into a new world for 1-3 hours. Usually I have at least one movie that gets me super excited each year, but this year was a big flop unfortunately. These are the ones I saw accord to my purchase history. I am curious if anyone saw any movies that they loved/hated this year as well.

    1) Star Wars: The Last Jedi (5/10 for me)
    2) Lady Bird
    3) Murder on the Orient Express
    4) Justice League
    5) Thor: Ragnarok
    6) Happy Death Day
    7) Blade Runner 2049
    8) IT (loved this one, but had no idea of it ahead of time)
    9) Atomic Blonde
    10) Spider-Man: Homecoming
    11) Guardians of the Galaxy 2
    12) Life
    13) Get Out (very good)
    14) Logan (pretty good)
    I went to see The Last Jedi for old time sakes.. There was a group of high school students talking and laughing through the whole movie......... Luckily it wasn't that great anyway.

  4. Perseverance
    MHB Global Moderator
    MHB Math Helper
    greg1313's Avatar
    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London Ontario, Canada - The Forest City
    Posts
    1,271
    Thanks
    5,802 times
    Thanked
    2,573 times
    Thank/Post
    2.024
    #3
    Ha; very interesting this topic should come up - I went to see "The Darkest Hour" last night and I thought it was a very good production. It flowed and the acting was good. Worth a visit, I say.

  5. Pessimist Singularitarian
    MHB Coder
    MHB Math Helper
    MHB Ambassador
    MarkFL's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    St. Augustine, FL.
    Posts
    12,998
    Thanks
    33,802 times
    Thanked
    30,940 times
    Thank/Post
    2.380
    Trophies
    23 Highscores
    Awards
    MHB Chat Room Award (2017)  

MHB Calculus Award (2017)  

MHB Pre-University Math Award (2017)  

MHB Statistics Award (2016)  

MHB Calculus Award (2016)
    #4
    I stopped going to movie theaters about 10 years ago, because a large number of people in the audience have their phones lit up all through the movie. It's virtually impossible for me to become immersed in the experience when the theater is lit up like the 4th of July.

  6. MHB Craftsman
    MHB Math Helper

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    209
    Thanks
    442 times
    Thanked
    365 times
    Thank/Post
    1.746
    Blog Entries
    1
    Trophies
    5 Highscores
    Awards
    MHB Model User Award (2017)
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkFL View Post
    I stopped going to movie theaters about 10 years ago, because a large number of people in the audience have their phones lit up all through the movie. It's virtually impossible for me to become immersed in the experience when the theater is lit up like the 4th of July.
    Terrible, isn't it.. Funnily enough I made an attempt to sneak in during a quiet time of the day, hoping that there would be fewer people. And there was. Only 10 or so, no 4th of July issues, only some inconsiderate teenagers.

    I had a theory that perhaps it's better to go during busy times. At least minority groups that want to talk will feel more awkward doing so in the presence of a larger crowd. But your point about phones would surely ruin this! (haven't sat in a full cinema for probably 10 years also).. Oh well .

  7. MHB Seeker
    MHB Global Moderator
    MHB Math Scholar
    MHB Coder
    I like Serena's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Leiden
    Posts
    7,609
    Thanks
    5,112 times
    Thanked
    13,794 times
    Thank/Post
    1.813
    Awards
    MHB Model Helper Award (2017)  

MHB Best Ideas (2017)  

MHB Analysis Award (2017)  

MHB Calculus Award (2017)  

MHB Model Helper Award (2016)
    #6
    I've learned that a cinema experience is best with a couple of friends on a Premiere night (or perhaps the day after).
    That's because then you'll have the people around that are really enthusiastic about it.
    Of course you'll have to book way in advance to get seats, or certainly to get reasonable seats.
    The type of cinema also matters, since some of them look like a factory hall, while others carry an atmosphere of mystery and wondrous things.

    Oh, and in my country, any movie starts with messages that phones have to be off.
    Moreover, many cinemas are shielded nowadays so that phones don't even work.

  8. Pessimist Singularitarian
    MHB Coder
    MHB Math Helper
    MHB Ambassador
    MarkFL's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    St. Augustine, FL.
    Posts
    12,998
    Thanks
    33,802 times
    Thanked
    30,940 times
    Thank/Post
    2.380
    Trophies
    23 Highscores
    Awards
    MHB Chat Room Award (2017)  

MHB Calculus Award (2017)  

MHB Pre-University Math Award (2017)  

MHB Statistics Award (2016)  

MHB Calculus Award (2016)
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by I like Serena View Post
    ...Oh, and in my country, any movie starts with messages that phones have to be off.
    We have those messages too...they are simply ignored by many and there's no enforcement of this whatsoever.

    Quote Originally Posted by I like Serena View Post
    Moreover, many cinemas are shielded nowadays so that phones don't even work.
    I would love to see something like that here...that, and ushers who will actively eject those who are disruptive in any way.

  9. MHB Seeker
    MHB Global Moderator
    MHB Math Scholar
    MHB Coder
    I like Serena's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Leiden
    Posts
    7,609
    Thanks
    5,112 times
    Thanked
    13,794 times
    Thank/Post
    1.813
    Awards
    MHB Model Helper Award (2017)  

MHB Best Ideas (2017)  

MHB Analysis Award (2017)  

MHB Calculus Award (2017)  

MHB Model Helper Award (2016)
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkFL View Post
    I would love to see something like that here...that, and ushers who will actively eject those who are disruptive in any way.
    Just checked, and apparently the gsm jammer has been deemed illegal after all, also in my country, although there are still countries that do allow it.
    The reason is apparently that it violates the rights of a person and it prohibits access to the emergency number, even if it's only in the theater room itself.

    In the Netherlands this equipment is forbidden, but in Russia this type of equipment can be used. With a mobile phone jam, the signals for mobile phone traffic can be disturbed. As a result, it is not possible to use the internet or to call in the oldest theater in St. Petersburg. Your cell phone simply has no range.

  10. Pessimist Singularitarian
    MHB Coder
    MHB Math Helper
    MHB Ambassador
    MarkFL's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    St. Augustine, FL.
    Posts
    12,998
    Thanks
    33,802 times
    Thanked
    30,940 times
    Thank/Post
    2.380
    Trophies
    23 Highscores
    Awards
    MHB Chat Room Award (2017)  

MHB Calculus Award (2017)  

MHB Pre-University Math Award (2017)  

MHB Statistics Award (2016)  

MHB Calculus Award (2016)
    #9
    I suspect these folks playing with their phones during the entire movie have no idea what it means to be immersed (they just want to be able to say they've "seen" the latest movies), nor would they care even if they did know what immersion means.

    I get that people might wish to know if there is a family emergency, and so they could have their phone set to vibrate, and if a call comes in, they could quietly leave the theater, go to the lobby, and find out what's going on. But, I know most will not or cannot exercise such restraint with their phones. They likely feel uneasy, queasy and even a bit greasy if they can't check their favorite social media site at least 3 times per minute.

  11. MHB Seeker
    MHB Global Moderator
    MHB Math Scholar
    MHB Coder
    I like Serena's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Leiden
    Posts
    7,609
    Thanks
    5,112 times
    Thanked
    13,794 times
    Thank/Post
    1.813
    Awards
    MHB Model Helper Award (2017)  

MHB Best Ideas (2017)  

MHB Analysis Award (2017)  

MHB Calculus Award (2017)  

MHB Model Helper Award (2016)
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkFL View Post
    I suspect these folks playing with their phones during the entire movie have no idea what it means to be immersed (they just want to be able to say they've "seen" the latest movies), nor would they care even if they did know what immersion means.

    I get that people might wish to know if there is a family emergency, and so they could have their phone set to vibrate, and if a call comes in, they could quietly leave the theater, go to the lobby, and find out what's going on. But, I know most will not or cannot exercise such restraint with their phones. They likely feel uneasy, queasy and even a bit greasy if they can't check their favorite social media site at least 3 times per minute.
    I remember reading an article about an experiment to disallow teenagers to use their phone for 1 day.
    They were allowed anything else, like playing board games and such.
    Turns out that about 70-90% (I think) of those teenagers got definite symptoms of anxiety and withdrawal symptoms, and couldn't complete the experiment.
    On the positive side, many of them did agree that it shouldn't be like that, and agreed to repeat the experiment at a later time.

Similar Threads

  1. 2017 is coming
    By evinda in forum Chat Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: January 1st, 2018, 10:44
  2. Problem of the Week #252 - Jun 27, 2017
    By Euge in forum POTW for Graduate Students
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: July 19th, 2017, 00:59
  3. Is 2017^4+4^{2017} a prime?
    By anemone in forum Challenge Questions and Puzzles
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: February 26th, 2016, 11:33
  4. Your Favourite Movies
    By mathmaniac in forum Chat Room
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: March 25th, 2013, 21:46

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Math Help Boards